Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, July 20, 2023

THE GOOD KIND OF HOMEWORK

Although I have been grumbling a bit lately about the workload I have to carry for my classes, when I truly got into this week's assignment, I got caught up in it and time passed very quickly.

That's a good sign. A sign that the homework is accomplishing its purpose - and not just getting turned in for a grade. 

This work is a multi-layered inductive Bible study of James 1:19-27 serving both of my classes. Tomorrow it becomes a paper for hermeneutics class and next the basis for my sermon this Sunday morning. (To be videotaped and submitted to be graded in my homiletics class.) 

Anyway, as I have been working on this study, I am once again impressed with two preaching realities in particular:

1) Context is the starting point. Verses out of context cannot be properly understood by either the preacher or the congregation. Too many sermons fail to launch right here. 

2) Scripture's language is so rich and deep that if you take the time to make observations and ask questions, two verses can provide more than enough material to pack a 30 minute sermon. 

I am looking forward to preaching this weekend - even more than normally do.

No comments:

Post a Comment