Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, July 13, 2023

A 24/7 WILL

I used to have a narrow understanding of God's will.

It was only at major forks in the road where I would "seek God's will":

  • Which college should I attend?
  • Is this girl "the one"?
  • Should I take this job or that other one?

But at the right time - which happened to be on a plane leaving Haiti after my first visit in 2010 - the Lord revealed that the phrase "God's will" means so much more.

I was reading the Bible and came across a passage that triggered an insight - I don't remember which verse it was exactly, but something like one of the following:

1 John 2:17  The world is passing away, along with its desires; but whoever does the will of God remains forever.

Ephesians 5:15-17 Pay careful attention, then, to how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 

1 Thessalonians 4:3 For it is God’s will that you should be holy: You must abstain from sexual immorality.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18  Rejoice at all times. Pray without ceasing. Give thanks in every circumstance, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

And it wasn't just the passages that spoke directly about "God's will" - I suddenly understood that the point of the whole Bible was to reveal "God's will" for His creation.

And what "God's will" boiled down to was the rescue of humanity from the darkness of sin and brokenness.

And to join in THAT work was God's will for me, no matter where I went to college, no matter whom I married, and no matter where I worked.

God has a will that involves me 24/7, not just occasionally at the forks in life's road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment