Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, May 17, 2023

A GLIMMER OF HOPE

There is so much garbage being produced by Hollywood in general (and Disney in particular) right now, that I feel it is my duty as an optimist to highlight a bright spot on the cultural landscape when I see it - and give Disney a little credit - even though it involves me admitting to a childhood obsession that has never really left me:

I love the Muppets.

But for years now I have had to specify: I love the OLD Muppets. The way they used to be

But then Disney decided to create a new show for their streaming platform, telling a brand new story involving Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, the Muppet Show's in-house band. 

I figured it would be disastrous.

But, surprisingly, it is a complete throw-back, not only to the way the Muppets used to be, but to the way television used to be. This show was clearly made by people who:
  • Love the Muppets
  • Understand the gentle, offbeat humor that made them so appealing
  • Know something about music
  • Have skill in storytelling and character development
And by people who do not:
  • Hate men
  • Feel the need to make the lead female human character into an infallible "girl boss"
  • Get preachy about woke nonsense
Plus, there are dozens of cameos by famous musicians and actors engaging in conversation with the Muppets in sweet and funny ways very reminiscent of the original Muppet Movie. 

Maybe it's just the optimist in me, but this show gives me hope that not all has been lost.

Fer sure! Totally.

No comments:

Post a Comment