Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, May 21, 2023

PASTORAL CRISIS

I found out last week that there are over 30 American Baptist Churches across Indiana and Kentucky currently looking for pastors. And an equal number between Illinois and Missouri. (These were the regions represented at the conference I attended.)

And that's just within our relatively small denomination. With the majority of our pastors in their 50s, 60s, and 70s, the pulpit shortage will become even more pronounced in the coming decades. 

It seems quite strange to me that the number of pastors seems to be shrinking at a faster rate than congregations themselves are shrinking! (And the church IS shrinking.)

I am not sure what the answer is, but I know the proper first step: The Church needs to be praying for leaders to be raised up. 

And those prayers need to be two-way communication. I am certain the Lord has some guidance for what we are to DO to reverse this trend. 

When was the last time you heard any church encouraging its members to consider full time Christian service? 

No comments:

Post a Comment