Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, June 27, 2022

THE HITCHHIKER

(In relating the following story, I am not recommending this sort of action by anyone outside of a naïve, young, 6'4" male.)

"Whenever you did it unto the least of these, you did it unto me."

One summer evening I was driving back to LeMars, Iowa from a week at Lake Okoboji camp when I saw a hitchhiker standing off the shoulder of the narrow country highway.

I was in my early twenties, living in a trailer park, and working as a youth pastor. The man I picked up was pretty shaggy and rather quiet and heading to the South. 

It was getting late and since LeMars was coming up, I told him I wasn't going too much further but that I would be glad to get him to a busier intersection where it might be easier to find a ride for the next leg of his trip. 

There was a McDonald's near the spot I planned to drop him, so when he said he was hungry, I figured I would be generous and give him a few dollars to grab himself a Big Mac and a Coke.

But when we arrived at the McDonald's, I felt a nudge in my spirit - that's all I can call it - that what he really needed was some company. So I stayed and had dinner with him.

As we were eating, I was noticing how little traffic was really passing by and I found myself telling him that I didn't think his chances were too good to get another ride in that place at that time of night and that - if he wanted - he could spend the night at my place. 

He was more than happy to accept. I actually had a spare room in my little trailer and I made up a bed for him. I am not sure how long it had been since he had slept in a bed. He was grateful.

When he closed the door to his bedroom, I said a little prayer that he would not murder me in my sleep.

But then something weird happened. 

Now, I have had some distinct experiences in my lifetime when I have felt God's leading, fewer times when I have "heard His voice" almost audibly. But that night was different from any other spiritual experience I had known - I had the unmistakable impression that Jesus Himself was present.

He was in my home! In fact, I had just given him my spare bedroom to use for the night. Jesus was just on the other side of that door.

I felt God's approval that night and I slept well.

(And the hitchhiker didn't murder me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment