Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, June 18, 2022

DOUBLING MY CHANCES

In a week I will have the opportunity to preach at the Moravian Church in Hope, Indiana - the town where I taught English not too long ago.

I can't tell you how excited I am. 

Or how scared.

And I am not scared just because I might be a little out of practice in both writing and delivering a sermon. Or because I will know a few people in the congregation. And not know all of the others. Or because I have to deliver the sermon at two services that morning. 

I get scared because I consider preaching to be a momentous responsibility. 

Paul exhorted young Timothy, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15)

My preaching professor back in my seminary days reminded us of  all the biblical warnings against false teachers and how we must be faithful to Scripture in our preaching. 

He was fond of saying, "Don't forget - as soon as you step into the pulpit, you double your chances of going to hell."


"Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly." - James 3:1


No comments:

Post a Comment