Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

SOIL EXPERIMENT UPDATE

A few weeks ago I wrote about how amazed I was that green bean and marigold seeds could grow in nothing but sand and water. Although they were stunted by the lack of soil, they grew much bigger than I could have imagined using the material in the seed plus sand and water. It seemed to me that something supernatural was going on!

(If you didn't see it, you can read it HERE.

Well, today I came across a short video by Mark Rober online and he pulled the veil away. So I want to set the record straight.

(If you've never watched any Mark Rober videos, you need to check him out! His content is both educational and entertaining.) 

Rober explained that most of the mass of a plant is carbon and most of that carbon is pulled from the AIR around the plant. This is why trees can grow hundreds of feet high without pulling an equivalent amount of material from the soil underneath them. 

So my beans and marigolds were getting water, sand AND AIR. And apparently that is enough to grow a few inches tall. I had just overlooked the power of air. 

So my plants are pulling their building blocks from the air around them by a process which science can describe. But should that disqualify the process as a miracle?

Why should it? 

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment