Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

SUPERCOMMUNICATORS

I am nearly half way through Supercommunicators by Charles Duhigg and I am finding it very useful and not at all what I expected.

I thought from the title and the subtitle (How to Unlock the Secret Language of Connection) that it might provide some guidance in how I might become a better Preacher.

But what I am finding instead is guidance in how I might become a better Pastor

This book is not so much about speaking in order to be heard as it is about connecting with others in conversation through asking questions, listening deeply, and sharing in vulnerability.

Duhigg maintains that nobody likes to be stuck in shallow conversations that never get beyond small talk.

Personally, I have always hated small talk - always desired to move beyond it to the stuff that really matters. (But I thought I was largely alone in this.)

I didn't have the tools necessary to move small talk to something deeper, so I have always tended to walk away from most conversations as quickly ... and as awkwardly ... as possible.

But Duhigg has some very simple, straightforward advice for going deep in conversation. And doing it quickly.

Before I share his "secrets" here, I want to test them out for myself. 

I will report back. 

In the meantime, if you're dying of curiosity, you can get his book yourself (it's worth the price) or catch him on any number of recent podcasts where he has appeared since the launch of the book a couple of weeks ago. 


No comments:

Post a Comment