Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, March 9, 2024

PREPARING MY TESTIMONY

Since I am being baptized tomorrow morning, instead of a standard sermon, I have decided to give my testimony.

Narrowing down 55 years of God's love and movement in my life to fit within a 20 minute window has been no small challenge.

There are at least three different angles I have considered touching on - Books, Events, and People.

Influential Books:

Radical by David Platt – which I read on the way back from my first trip to Haiti.

The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale – which first introduced me to the concept of mindset, decades before I really explored the possibilities.

The Growing Up Pains of Adrian Plass by Adrian Plass – which showed me Christian writing full of humor, vulnerability, and authenticity.

Shadow of the Almighty by Elisabeth Elliot – which illustrated a soul sold out to serving Jesus.

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis – more recently helping me solidify the basics of my theology.

 

Influential people:

My parents

Youth leaders like Tom and Marcia Kuhn during high school and Tom Shepherd during my college years

Pastors like Bill Clayton, Jack Haskins, Mark Van Valen, and Phil and Connie Dicks

Friends like Mark Kline and Kate and Storly Michel 

Partners in ministry like Tim Price, Jamie Hudgins, all our missionary friends in Haiti, and, especially, my wife

My four kids, who have taught me so much about life and faith

 

Influential moments:

My first true friend, Pete Haskins, arriving in town when I was in 3rd grade

Death of my friend Phil during my Junior year of High School

Goodwill Camp in MA – my 1st exposure to poverty and its effects

The close of my senior year at Wabash College – when God redirected me into youth ministry

My decision to attend Asbury Seminary in 95

Meeting Melissa in 99, marrying in 2000 and moving to Florida

My Dad’s death and our return to Indiana in 2002

Transition out of youth ministry and into teaching in 2005

My first short term mission trip to Haiti in 2010

Moving to Haiti in 2013 – the best move for our whole family

Our return from Haiti in 2020 – where I learned about spiritual growth through pain

Coming on staff at Sardinia Baptist Church in 2023 - where I feel like the next chapter of my life will unfold


There has never been a single pivotal moment that I could point to and say, "This is where I first met Jesus". I used to think that was a weakness in my testimony - I wanted something dramatic like the drug addict whose life is turned on a dime by an encounter with Jesus.

But I realize now that I am fortunate to be able to look back and see so many times when God was at work in my life, gently guiding me toward discovering those "good works" which He "prepared in advance" for me to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment