Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, March 25, 2024

SERMON FOLLOW UP

When it comes to preaching, I tend to bite off more than I can chew in 20 to 25 minutes. (To the congregation: I am aware of this and I am working on it! I appreciate your patience. 😉 I will get it figured out eventually.)

This morning I bit off such a big mouthful that I nearly choked. Almost required a spiritual Heimlich Maneuver!

With Good Friday fast approaching, I wanted to address various theories of the atonement: HOW exactly did the death of Christ on the cross achieve our reconciliation with God? (The mechanics of the crucifixion are not super clear from Scripture and so, over the years, theologians developed various theories to explain how it all worked. Some are complementary to each other and some are in competition.) I also wanted to discuss why it mattered AND which were helpful AND why I find one in particular deserving of rejection. 

That made for a sermon with a few too many parts. And as a result, no part got fully developed.

My wife told me afterward that maybe the whole thing was a subject more fitting for a Lenten Bible study. In other words, 6 or 7 hourlong discussions rather than a single 30 minute sermon!

I see that ... now. 

So, to take another stab at explaining this topic and why it should matter to the believer (especially during Holy Week), I intend to dedicate a few upcoming blog posts here to the task of clarification. I will then be posting those links to the church Facebook page. 

With any luck, I will get some questions and feedback. 

And, God willing, clear away any confusion. 




No comments:

Post a Comment