Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Friday, April 26, 2024

IN JESUS' NAME

 I am beginning to see how the theme of humanity being created in God's image - which is introduced in Genesis 1 - carries through the entire Bible and finds expression in various key passages.

When we understand that we were created to represent God and His priorities here on this earth, then we get a deeper and more accurate understanding of what Jesus meant in John 14:

12 Truly, truly, I tell you, whoever believes in Me will also do the works that I am doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in My name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask Me for anything in My name, I will do it.

Now that Jesus has come to redeem humanity from sin and death and has paved the way with his own death and resurrection, He has gained "all authority in heaven and on earth". He passes along His authority to the members of His body, whenever we are doing good work "in His name". 

So when we ask for His help in these endeavors - wherever the Kingdom is advancing or where order is being brought from chaos - then we can be confident in His affirmative answer. 

Understood in this vein, it's easy to see why Jesus answering prayers asked "in His name" would ultimately bring glory to the Father, the One who initiated this mission of advancing His Kingdom.

So why have we reduced "in Jesus' name" in our understanding to three magic words with which to end our prayers?

No comments:

Post a Comment