Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

FOSTERING FRIENDSHIPS

If there is one thing Covid brought home to me it is that I - even as an avowed introvert - NEED friendly physical human interaction. 

And even though "social distancing" is starting to pass into memory, when you stack our ongoing and ever-growing reliance on technology on top of the estrangement lingering from the days of pandemic and it feels like even the extroverts are starting to lose genuine connections to other people. 

(And half the population has a third strike against them: being males. We are just too often resigned to a daily life lacking in close friendships.)

Fortunately, I can report that I myself have been making gains in the friendship department this past year. I have made intentional effort to stay in weekly contact with a few of my closest friends who now live at a distance. Plus, my work with Mission Resource in Columbus and my role as pastor in Sardinia have both been forcing me out into the local community. 

And it's all good. 

I even found a surprising source of new friendships - a local chapter of Business Network International. 

BNI is a global organization designed to give business people an environment in which to foster trust and, subsequently, generate business referrals. 

I have represented Mission Resource at one of three BNI chapters here in Columbus for almost a year now and even though the meetings are at 7:00 Tuesday mornings, I can honestly say that I look forward to those gatherings every week.

Among other things, BNI encourages members to schedule one-to-one meetings with other chapter members on a weekly basis. We meet in each others' offices or go out for lunch or coffee, and we talk.

We talk about life and business and kids and the state of the world and - sometimes - even faith. 

And, slowly, new friendships are forming for me. 

It has reminded me that it is up to each of us to prioritize reaching out in search of friendly connections. This culture desperately needs us to make the effort.

Here's a great little article from Joshua Becker at the Becoming Minimalist website that points us in the right direction if we want to foster more friendships. 

No comments:

Post a Comment