Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, March 18, 2024

EXERCISING MY VOICE

I have recently become conscious of a nasty little holdover from my early years of shyness: the weakness of my voice. 

If I am paying attention, throughout the day I catch myself engaged in "vocal slouching". Half-hearted, mumbly vocalizations punctuated with lots of throat clearing. 

And it interferes with life. 

I've been thinking of creating some videos to post online for Mission Resource - since social media has moved on from still photos to video. But I get so self-conscious on camera and I cannot stand the sound of my own voice when I hear it played back. It's so nasally. 

And that got me thinking about the poor congregation that has to listen to me preach every Sunday. 

(Not to mention what my wife and kids and coworkers have to endure from day to day!)

And then it occurred to me that voices - like posture and physiques and dozens of other aspects of daily life - can likely be improved. With focused effort.

(Perhaps even dramatically so. Who knows?)

So I am making an effort. I am trying to eliminate mumbling, speaking loudly and clearly as consistently as possible. (It's hit and miss.) I have also found some vocal exercises suggested on YouTube that are too embarrassing to do when anyone else is in the house. They are now part of my daily shower routine after Melissa and Sarah head off to school. 

And guess what. I think I am hearing an overall improvement even after just a few weeks. Great motivation to keep it going and even step it up a notch.

It's humbling to still be figuring out such basic stuff at the age of 55.  

No comments:

Post a Comment