Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, February 18, 2021

WINTER'S REDEEMING BEAUTY

On my way to school yesterday, after a two hour delay was called for snow, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the sunrise over the bleak winter landscape. I had to stop and take a picture of the trees and their shadows just outside the school building.


Even though it was morning and not afternoon, the "slant of light" reminded me of this Emily Dickinson poem:


There's a certain Slant of light

There's a certain Slant of light,
Winter Afternoons –
That oppresses, like the Heft
Of Cathedral Tunes –

Heavenly Hurt, it gives us –
We can find no scar,
But internal difference –
Where the Meanings, are –

None may teach it – Any –
'Tis the seal Despair –
An imperial affliction
Sent us of the Air –

When it comes, the Landscape listens –
Shadows – hold their breath –
When it goes, 'tis like the Distance
On the look of Death –


I think the poem highlights this captivating mix of beauty and death which is Winter in my eyes. Until yesterday, I had focused only on the "hurt" of winter - the stinging cold, the bare branches, the gray skies. Then a drive to work on a snowy morning reminded me of the beauty of winter and the shortness of life, and I have some idea of what Dickinson means by it being a "heavenly hurt". 








No comments:

Post a Comment