Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Friday, February 26, 2021

CAN YOU TURN OFF FACEBOOK MEMORIES?

I used to absolutely love the "memories" function but now it is why I am keeping my distance from Facebook these days. Seven incredible years with hundreds of incredible people have left behind too many incredible memories. And they are just too fresh to be anything but painful currently. I know that somewhere down the line they will be happy reminders once again, but for now I just can't bear to look at them.

I guess I am feeling a little down about being away from Haiti tonight. These feelings - regret, anger, disbelief - come and go, but generally I am an optimist and find plenty of reasons to "look on the bright side" of every situation. And there's plenty to be grateful for here in Indiana - especially lately as warmer days have melted away the snow and ushered in the first realistic hopes for spring.

Nevertheless, a year ago we were happily serving in Haiti, unaware of the gathering storm that would make its presence felt in early March and it is so hard to wrap my head around that tonight. 

1 comment:

  1. Spring and Fall
    BY GERARD MANLEY HOPKINS
    to a young child

    Márgarét, áre you gríeving
    Over Goldengrove unleaving?
    Leáves like the things of man, you
    With your fresh thoughts care for, can you?
    Ah! ás the heart grows older
    It will come to such sights colder
    By and by, nor spare a sigh
    Though worlds of wanwood leafmeal lie;
    And yet you wíll weep and know why.
    Now no matter, child, the name:
    Sórrow’s spríngs áre the same.
    Nor mouth had, no nor mind, expressed
    What heart heard of, ghost guessed:
    It ís the blight man was born for,
    It is Margaret you mourn for.

    ReplyDelete