Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

TWO LISTS

Galatians 5:

19  The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; 20  idolatry and sorcery; hatred, discord, jealousy, and rage; rivalries, divisions, factions, 21  and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

These 3 verses are part of the passage I plan to preach this coming Sunday. I am just in the beginning stages of sermon prep but the first thing I note here is that this is a very odd list.

I almost wish Paul had divided these "acts of the flesh" into two separate lists. 

I could imagine it going something like this:

Paul leads with "Those who practice sexual immorality, idolatry, sorcery, drunkenness, and orgies will not inherit the kingdom of God!"

As you and I and the rest of the good Christians hear the first list, we unanimously shake our heads and give a little "tsk-tsk-tsk" under our breath along with a small gasp of horror and disapproval.

But then Paul continues, "Neither will those who lust, practice hateful behavior, who sow discord, are jealous or easily angered, or those who foster divisions or who harbor envy of others!"

At this completion of Paul's list, our eyes drop to the ground, avoiding Paul's gaze and there's nothing but silence ...

No comments:

Post a Comment