Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, April 24, 2023

SLOW THINKING

Writing's biggest draw for me is that it gives me time to weigh my words - and my attitude. When it comes to thinking - I can go deep, but quick? Not so much. With writing, I also have the opportunity to revise my thoughts and words before I "put them out there". 

Writing IS slow thinking. 

Each time I sit down to write a blog post I am reminded that words seldom tumble out of me in an impromptu string I feel comfortable publishing for the world to see. No, I always revise (a little or a lot, depending on available time). I cut words, I add words. I reorder ideas. I clarify anywhere I might risk misunderstanding. 

It's a messy process - my thinking - and I appreciate the opportunity to "get it right" before putting it out in public. 

So why did it take so long to see preaching, for me especially, is better done from a manuscript than from scribbled notes? 

I was often finding, in these recent days, "the perfect way to say" this or that pop into my head in the course of the week leading up to a sermon. But I wouldn't write it down. Big mistake.

Most often the result was that nobody but me ever heard that point stated well. After delivering a sermon, I would think, "Shoot! I forgot to say -----!" or "I hope people didn't hear me wrong when I said -----." 

The fact that it took me all my life to figure out my sermons would flow better if written out completely before I step into the pulpit illustrates my first point here: 

I am a slow thinker. 

I have preached from a written manuscript for the last two Sundays, and I will be making it a habit from now on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment