Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, May 6, 2023

WHO HAS REASON TO BOAST?

Here's a random thought regarding my Calvinist brothers and sisters in Christ:

They often warn that if you believe that your faith comes from within you and plays any decisive role in you becoming a Christian, that leaves you with room to boast. And the Apostle Paul says there is to be no boasting. 

They seem to think we would say (or at least think) something like, "Look at me - I put my faith in Christ. I am so much smarter than that atheist over there."

I guess I can see where they are coming from, but such boasting is not the temptation they assume it is. 

After all, when you turn to Christ and put your faith in Him, you are admitting your lack of holiness and your need for a Savior. You are waving the white flag of surrender. And that pretty much precludes boasting. To become a Christian is to humble yourself.  

According to Calvinists, though, because they understand that their faith is ALL God's work, their ideology automatically disallows all possibility of boasting. 

This is patently ridiculous.

You believe that the God of the universe chose you (for reasons unknown to you) to be among His elect, passing over so many other human beings, and this inspires great ... humility?

Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment