Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, July 3, 2011

In Haiti - as a Family

It's Sunday, July 3rd, and the first full day for the full family in Haiti.  I am somewhat limited by our internet connection here.  It's dial-up, so no pictures to post for now ... and it's killing me because I have so many great pictures.  Bummer.  They'll just have to wait until we get back to the States in two weeks.

Melissa went to Haiti in June of 2010 and I went in October.  We've been talking about and planning for a move to Haiti in August of 2012 since my trip.  This two week family trip was also in my mind since the tail end of my trip.  Melissa and I both felt like it would be crucial to give the kids a Haitian experience - a chance for them to see for themselves the realities of life in Haiti.  It seems surreal now to have it become reality.

I have been reminded often over the last few days (by the Holy Spirit?) of all the people we have to thank for aiding us in this process.  Our neighbor Ben replaced our van's windshield for next to nothing (a shout out to Auto Glass Depot!).  Jeff and Sheila Forshee housed our family in Pensacola for several days.  Twila and Gonzo Gonzales put us up for the night in Miami and then got us to the airport by 5:20 AM yesterday.  Amber E. is watching the house for us.  My mother-in-law Trudy donated pillows.  Others donated additional supplies.  Bill E. at Men for Mission arranged the flights.  Lucretia S. has helped coordinate our finances through the church.  Many have prayed for us and many have given money.  I know I am forgetting someone at the moment, but you've been in my thoughts throughout the last few days.  You are all a big part of this trip.

The kids have been absolutely fantastic.  What troopers they are!  They have been willing to sleep anywhere, spend 24 hours total in the van, eat anything, meet and interact with "strangers"... This morning they sat through a warm, two hour church service - all in Creole.  And those pews set a new standard for discomfort! 

But along with all the demands that this trip has placed on them, they have also enjoyed some great times, too.  They loved their time in Pensacola - getting to know the Forshees (and their dogs!), spending time on the beach, exploring Fort Pickens.  Now that they are here, they've enjoyed playing soccer with some local Haitian kids, eaten lunch at a beautiful hotel, and gone for a swim.  They are also enjoying exploring the compound and chasing lizards.

I have so much more I could write, but it's gotten late and tomorrow we have an early breakfast and then we're off to help with a VBS program at a local church.  We'd appreciate your continued prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Loved getting this update! So glad the kids are doing well!!! Love you all and am praying. Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete