Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

FASTING DAY 2

On Day 2 of my 3 day fast: 

The hunger pains seemed a bit more muted but also more frequent. 

The biggest temptation was a huge raspberry filled donut that my boss brought into the office for me this morning. The funny thing was that it didn't tempt me too much at first sight. I had no problem bringing it back to the house to pass along to Sarah. 

The temptation kicked in when Sarah got home from school and stood in the kitchen eating that donut. Right in front of me. 

It was hard to watch. 


So much jelly! 

In the evening, Melissa and I watched an episode of This Is Us together and in nearly every scene the characters were eating. Melissa hadn't noticed how much food was in the episode until I pointed it out. 

The only other physical downside was that it felt like I had a little more trouble falling to sleep last night than normal, but it was nothing too terrible. 

On the bright side, it doesn't feel like going without food has dampened my energy. If anything, I feel a little more energetic in body and clearer in mind. And even though the dog woke me up at 4:30, I was able to fall back to sleep - which is unusual for me. Furthermore, I felt like my brain kicked into gear a little faster than normal after the alarm went off. 

For the record: my morning weight was 191.4 and I am ending the day at 189.6.

I don't mean to make fasting all about the physical experience. I had a good time of prayer this morning. And in lieu of lunch, I took the dog for a walk - allowing me extra time to think and pray. 

The physical experience of fasting is noteworthy because, whereas from day to day our bodies rule the roost, fasting prioritizes the spirit over the body. 

Bringing the body into submission. 

That is what's really interesting - and useful - about fasting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment