Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Leaving Le Mars

This morning marks the end of a fantastic week in Le Mars, Iowa.  Melissa has already informed me that she will cry when we leave.  Last night as I helped put the kids to bed, I noticed that Ida (age 8) was looking a bit depressed and on the verge of tears. 


"What's the matter?" I asked.


"I don't want to leave," he replied, fighting back tears.


"Why not?"  (I will admit: I could see it coming and I was fishing for it.)


"Because #1 - school will be starting again.  And #2 - I want to stay here."


"Why do you want to stay here?"  I fished further.


"I want to stay here with Bill and Jodee."


Bill and Jodee Jackes have been so good to us this week.  They opened their house up to the six of us and, more than that, they cooked for us, played cards with the kids, took us to an amazing pizza buffet, helped round up possible ministry partners for us and ... made us a part of their family.  Which I am happy to claim.

I will have to post more details later - including some pictures - because we have to get moving here.  Still coming up today is breakfast at McDonald's with Calvin and Dixie, saying goodbyes here, and then a three hour drive to Grundy Center, Iowa to see Rev. Phil and Connie Dicks.


I get to preach at Phil's church tomorrow morning before we head back to Indiana.  Should be a great ending to our trip - I mean being with Phil and Connie, not my preaching. 


A week and a half ago, I asked some friends to pray for our trip.  Melissa and I were both stressed out and, even though I was looking forward to seeing some old friends, neither of us had the energy to get too excited.  Plus, Melissa had passed through Le Mars once before about 9 years ago, but didn't really know the people or the area - she only anticipated a week where she would be meeting a bunch of folks from a part of my life predating our own relationship.  (Maybe like going with your spouse to a week long high school reunion where you know nobody.  Not exactly something most people would look forward to.)  Anyway, my praying friends must have sent up some effective prayers because this week - for every single member of our family - FAR surpassed anything we could have hoped for.  We are leaving refreshed and encouraged.  And the best part is, we plan to be returning on a regular basis, God willing.  Le Mars will definitely be a required stop any time we are back in the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment