Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day 43 - Coke Box (Give... maybe Sell?)

As I write, this particular Give (maybe Sell!) is still in process.  I think I might have found a new avenue for my project to Give, Throw or Sell at least one item each day:  Facebook.  All the junk that I threw away yesterday (Day 42 - which I will get caught up on tomorrow perhaps) was contained in an old, flat Coca-Cola box.  It's a wooden box - the kind they used to carry 24 bottles in.  This one has markings on the inside which read "Chattanooga 1970". 

I guess I need to check on line to see if it has any value before I go giving it away!  (I'd hate to see it pop up on Antiques Road Show in a few months and be worth a couple of hundred dollars.) 

[Minutes pass...]  Whoops!  Just checked out Ebay and someone is asking $55.00 for one that is Chattanooga 1977! 

OK.  Now it's getting complicated.  You see, I offered it on Facebook as a give away and now I've got three people interested in it!  The first one (an old high school classmate) did ask how much I wanted for it.  The second one just wants it because it is free.  (You won't believe this, but she's the older sister of the boy who wanted my typo plaque a few weeks ago because IT was free - Day 16!) [Correction:  No, she isn't the older sister ... I don't know what I was thinking!  Her little brother is in the same class as the plaque kid, though.]  And the third is a junior high student whose dad collects Coke stuff - he was still looking for a Christmas gift for dad (although he's not planning on spending $55 apparently!).   He LOLed when I put the Ebay price on the comment thread.

I just dropped the Ebay price on Interested Party #1 - we'll see what her reaction is.  She'll probably LOL too.  Lately I find myself torn between giving things away and putting the effort into selling things.  Giving away things is fun and it is freeing (no pun intended).  It just makes you happy to make someone else happy - and who doesn't love to get free stuff??  On the other hand, we kind of need every penny we can get in order to get ourselves to Haiti - and some of our stuff actually has some worth beyond sentimentality.  Why not sell it and start using any funds raised to pay off debts?

IP #1 is suggesting I try putting it on Ebay.  (In other words, 'ain't no way I'm handing you more than five bucks for that thing.')  Let me ask the Boss what I should do ...

[Seconds pass...]  Melissa says Ebay it.  I need to tell IP #1 that I'm going to be an "Indian Giver" (although I'm sure that's a politically incorrect term nowadays). 

[A few more minutes pass]  IP #1 was very gracious about allowing me to back out!  I still feel guilty though....

Reminds me of a line from Emo Philips:  "Know what I hate?  Indian givers... no, I take that back."

No comments:

Post a Comment