Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, July 22, 2021

STILL UNDECIDED

When I was in seminary I had a suitemate who had a simple litmus test for true Christianity: If you didn't believe that the Creation happened in six literal days as related in the first chapters of Genesis, you simply were not a real Christian.

I wasn't so sure that he was right about the literal days, but I didn't want to debate him and risk exposing myself as a heretic.

Today we visited the Ark Encounter. That's Ken Hamm's elaborate recreation of Noah's Ark on a Kentucky hill. 




I don't know that Hamm would agree with my seminary friend about it being a litmus test of true faith per se, but he unapologetically espouses a strictly literal reading of Genesis and the rest of Scripture. 

I will confess to going into the Ark with many reservations - not really knowing what to expect and fearing it might be cheesy. I left with a feeling of respect for the effort and an appreciation for the work and thought put into the project.

Still not convinced that Genesis requires a literal reading across the board though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment