Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Friday, November 20, 2015

CLEANING WINDOWS

November 18th is a national holiday here, Vertieres' Day, marking the last decisive battle of Haiti's war for independence two hundred years ago. The OMS staff each year takes the day as our family Thanksgiving. This year Cowman took Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off from classes - so it has really felt like a Thanksgiving break. Without Black Friday sale ads. 

My family spent Wednesday with about 30 other folks at Matt and Stacey Ayar's home on the campus of Emmaus Biblical Seminary, eating and playing and pausing to thank our Lord. But it took Thursday morning's chores to give me a metaphor for what really happened on Wednesday.

I didn't wake up Thursday morning WANTING to clean the screens on our living room windows - it was just something I couldn't ignore any longer. Since our windows here are not sealed glass like they would be in the States, every little breeze deposits minute amounts of dirt and dust as it passes through our windows. Although it's unnoticeable from day to day, over time the dust builds up to such a degree that it interferes with both the amount of light coming into the room and with our ability to clearly see the world beyond our walls.

Eventually, everything looks a bit murky and the sunniest day is a bit grey.

Yesterday, I couldn't ignore the dust any longer, so I got a whisk broom and worked section by section to clean up the screen. A lot of the dust went airborne again, some went up my sinuses, and most fell to the floor in clumps.


Where I could finally see just how much dirt had been interfering with the view.

The picture below falls short of showing the true impact of cleaning, but gives some idea. Left side is finished, right side is still dirty:


Everything seems brighter now - inside the room and out. It's a much more pleasant living space.

So upon reflection, Wednesday's Thanksgiving gathering was a time for some much needed spiritual window cleaning. I was surprised at just how much the day-to-day dirt had clouded my vision, dimming the Light and hindering me from seeing the beauty all around me. 

I didn't know how much I NEEDED it.




Our hostess, Stacey Ayars, always goes all out on setting the atmosphere for a special gathering.



Brett Bundy butchered one of his turkeys for the occasion. 



Matt and Stacey's newest family addition got lots of attention throughout the day.




The highlight of the day was the worship.







Annual tradition: Stacey organizes the post-meal group photo.






I was reminded of the REALITY of my life: SO MUCH to be thankful for.

I am thankful for great co-workers and meaningful work.


For a beautiful place to live.


And for beautiful people to share this life with.



And for all the churches and individuals who support us daily and monthly with prayers and the finances it takes to keep it all going. None of this would be possible without YOU.



I will be praying that YOUR Thanksgiving will be a time to pause and that the Lord will clear away the day-to-day dust and dirt and let his Light shine brightly. We have so much to be thankful for - and so much yet to do.



Today is Friday and we are planning to spend our final day off from school at the beach with some friends. 

I am feeling a bit guilty about that, though,because while we are relaxing on the sand, our friends from Grundy Center, Iowa, are spending the day alternating between airports and airplanes to get themselves to Haiti. We can hardly wait to see them this evening! It's going to be a wild week.

Thank you, Jesus - for EVERYTHING!



No comments:

Post a Comment