Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, June 25, 2023

PREACHING AND PATRIOTISM

I have a project due in a few weeks for my preaching class. I need to create a year-long preaching plan, mapping out 52 particular passages and a synopsis of each while being mindful of holidays and the flow of the church calendar.

It will be useful, I am sure, but so far I have not had any issue with deciding on what passage to preach on any particular Sunday. I usually have it figured out more than a week in advance.

Until today.

Next Sunday is July 2nd, so that means we will be marking the July 4th weekend. The church likes to meet in the open air of the shelter house behind the church for the Independence Day focus.

The way I am wired, I would prefer to completely ignore most secular holidays. My attitude is: This is a worship service and let's focus on God's word. But I am guessing some within the congregation would not be too happy if I ignored the 4th of July. 

So that leaves me scratching my head a bit as I anticipate this next week. I don't yet have any passage in mind for next Sunday.

What can one preach in keeping with a patriotic theme in 2023? 

No comments:

Post a Comment