Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, May 23, 2013

H-A-I-T-I Week

Hair Day
Caleb has been at it again.  He got permission from his school's principal to do a week long fundraiser for the orphans of The Potter's House in Vaudreuil, Haiti.  It's been sort of a "spirit week" where kids could participate in special themes each day for a 50 cent donation. The themes spelled out H-A-I-T-I. 
Monday was Hair day. 
Tuesday was Accessories day. 
Wednesday - Intelligence day. 
Today was Tie-dye day and tomorrow is Imitate someone famous day. 




Hair Day


Caleb was even able to address the entire student body on Tuesday over the various lunch hours - that's about a thousand students, kindergarten through sixth grade!  He's been working with a team of his classmates to collect the money from every classroom each day.  So far over $400 has been raised!

Intelligent Kindergartner

Intelligent 5th Grader


Caleb came out of the bedroom tonight a half hour after lights out. He said he was having trouble falling asleep because he couldn't get an image from Haiti out of his head tonight - that he often sees it at night and sometime even during the day - that it was this image that pushed him to do the fundraiser.  I asked him to describe it and he said, "I'll tell you, but I might cry."

"Go ahead and cry, buddy."

"It was from our first trip to Haiti.  We were on the back of the big truck returning from VBS one day and we were driving through a village.  There were lots of houses close together and they didn't even have doors. And I looked at one house and two little boys were coming out the doorway.  They didn't have any clothes on and you could see their ribs."

I assured him that even though it was painful to remember, it was a good thing because it showed how sensitive his heart was.  "God is already using your heart and I know even greater things are coming."

"That's what I'm trying to figure out - what to do next," he says. 

Yeah - I was pretty much fighting back tears myself by that point.

We brainstormed some ideas - I will let you know what comes of them!


This is his only-half-awake-but-going-to-school face
on Tie-dye Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment