Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, April 29, 2012

I'm a Proud Dad

Yesterday morning was cold and rainy - like most Saturdays lately.  I have decided that perhaps God hates soccer.  

Dats (age 10) had a 9:30 game and a storm had just blown over, so the game went on as scheduled.  About 25 minutes into the game, Dats was in position at the opponents' net and managed to kick the ball past the goalie and score a point for his team.  His first goal of the season!  His first goal of the last couple of years, in fact. 

You should have seen the look on his face as he came running down the field after that goal.  Priceless.

It was a proud morning for me.  But not because he scored a goal.  Honestly, I was born lacking the "sports gene".  Anything sports related holds zero interest for me.  I couldn't possibly care any less about who the Indianapolis Colts recently signed as their new quarterback, for instance.  You would not want me as a partner in a sports trivia game.  If I had the time most other guys spend watching games on TV, I would much rather spend it reading or taking a nap. 

So it struck me when Dats made a goal that I was happy for him, but lacking that familiar paternal pride:  "Did you see that?  That was my boy!"  Because, really, how much pride is appropriate for Dats kicking a  ball past some other kid?  I know I am blaspheming a sacred part of American culture, but I just don't get it.  It's a game.  Big deal.

But here's what DID make me proud: We got in the van and Dats was still beaming.  He said, "I felt like I was going to make a goal today even before the game started."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yup.  Before every game I pray that God will let me make a goal, and today I felt like He was saying that it was my day to make one."

My kid prays, perseveres even when God doesn't seem to answer immediately, and listens closely for God's response.  THAT was when I felt the paternal pride.

Later, Dats brought in a school project that had been hanging on a bulletin board for a few months.  It was a bit of writing that had been laminated.  Here is what he wrote:

"New Year Resolutions"

"I have a few New Year resolutions.  One of my bigger, better ones would be to read three books out of the Bible.  One of my targets is Galations.  I also want to read at the least fifteen minutes out of the Bible every week.

"My New Year resolution is to destroy bad habits and start new better ones.  A long term resolution would be to get outstanding grades and get a nice job.

"An other long term goal would be to meet others needs.  I also want to help others in Haiti."

On the back, his teacher had written a note to him:

"Dats,
You are a bright young man.  God has a great plan for your life.  Continue through and read his word and he will guide you."  

Amen to that!

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
                            2 Corinthians 4:18

1 comment: