Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, September 19, 2011

New School in Plaine du Nord

Just a few more pictures yet to post from our July trip to Haiti.  I get a little sad when I look at these and I have to force myself to post them, but it's not because they are sad pictures.  In fact, these are happy pictures of a brand new school for the children of Plaine du Nord, Haiti.  Pardon me because I've said it before: it's only sad to me because it feels so distant right now. 

When I went to Haiti about a year ago, my friend Beka had a chance to tour some of the "Starfish" schools - schools where One Mission Society maintains a sponsorship program which provides local kids with education and a daily lunch.  The old school was quite decrepit, to say the least.  (Maybe I can get Beka to send me a pic of the place and I will include it here as an update.)

This new school was constructed with $58,000 provided by a group in Canada.  It is amazing how far $58,000 can go.  (My school here just finished a building project costing $18 million...)

Jane took us out to see the new building.  It was almost finished. I am sure by now it is swarming with school kids.  That's a happy thought. 

The foundation was laid while Bud was out of the country and somehow they got it twice as long as needed.  Miraculously, the school still came in under budget.

The school bathrooms.

Jane shows the kids one of the classrooms.  They will have adjustable walls so that this larger room can be used for two classes.

Just a bit more painting to be done on the outside.

A view of The Citadel from the schoolyard.

The Citadel

No comments:

Post a Comment