Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Friday, September 8, 2023

PREACHING STRAWMEN

I listen to a lot of various preachers online throughout a normal week - while I am making breakfast, as I drive to the office, while I walk the dog - and what strikes me most often is their confidence.

And how often it seems misplaced.

The pulpit could use more humility. Especially when the preacher is tackling some topic on which honest believers differ profoundly. 

One phrase that always raises red flags for me is: "You won't find a single verse in the Bible that supports X from Genesis to Revelation" where X is some belief held by millions of people. 

To me, that it just proof that the preacher is creating a strawman out of his opponents' beliefs. 

And even if you are ultimately correct, knocking down strawmen is mainly an exercise in pride. 


No comments:

Post a Comment