Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, March 4, 2018

A MORNING IN LIMONADE

Shortly after Christmas, I got a visit from a local pastor whom, I confess, I didn't know very well, but he works with our church planting program, Every Community for Christ.  Pastor Israel invited me to preach at his church in Limonade on March 4th.

Now, March 4th seemed like a long, long time away and there was nothing on my calendar for that day, so I said, "I'd love to!"

Over the last two weeks, Pastor Israel messaged me every few days on Facebook to say, "Don't forget about March 4th!" But when the weekend finally arrived, I found a few conflicts. For one thing, Melissa's friend was visiting from Michigan with her daughter and plans had been made to spend some time together at the beach. This put me in search of alternate transportation to get me to Limonade.

So, much of yesterday was spent going through plans A to E with nothing to show late in the evening. At one point Melissa asked me, "Why do you agree to do these things?" I was beginning to wonder myself ...

Melissa was willing to sacrifice her trip to the beach, but I knew many others were counting on her to drive and she was really looking forward to it. After I had exhausted Option E, Melissa (the smart one) had the brainstorm of asking our friends at Emmaus Seminary if we could borrow their truck.

They were graciously willing to loan it for the day but that did mean that my Sunday morning started at 7:00 am as a passenger on the back of Mikken's motorcycle to retrieve the vehicle. 

Actually, I admit, a pretty fun start to the day ...


After securing transportation, Mikken, Kacie, and I drove the 45 minutes to Limonade. It didn't take long to discover I REALLY didn't know where the church was. When I had asked Pastor Israel for directions over Messenger, he had sent me a picture of the church's sign. So at least I knew the name of the church! I had asked a mutual friend for directions, but they got a bit confused in my head - especially after we got trapped for a few minutes in the city square, surrounded by a parade of Catholic school children. I started to panic about being late.

Mikken had the presence of mind to search Google maps on his phone and, surprisingly, found the location of "Eglise Baptiste de la Trinite Dubourg Limonade". Well, at least the FORMER location of the church. From there, a little boy offered to ride with us to point out the new location and he was excited to receive 10 goudes from Kacie for his help.

We slipped in the side door after the service had already started. The church was small but well packed with people of all ages. The day was sunny and breezy outside and the worship was lively inside. 



As always, Mikken did a wonderful job as translator.  I preached on Romans 12:1 - "present your body as a living sacrifice" and the congregation was very receptive. 


The whole service was a joy. This young lady was celebrating her birthday, so she was brought forward and we sang to her ... twice. And then, one by one, congregants young and old came forward to give her a kiss on the cheek. 

She endured it with great grace and composure. ;-)


Communion was served after the regular service, and these two little guys sat beside me, hinting that they'd really enjoy having the rope I had used as a sermon illustration. 

They got it.



After communion, Pastor Israel graciously set a table for the three of us just outside the church and we enjoyed a lunch of fried chicken, plantains and pikliz. The morning couldn't get much better!



Here's Pastor Israel, on the left, with his wife and an associate pastor. The church is growing and he's making plans to start a school in September. 


I must say, this school's student body has the potential to be one of the cutest ever.



So why do I agree to preach whenever I get asked? Because it's a joy and a privilege to experience a new corner of God's gathered people. Not to mention, I hate to pass up an opportunity to proclaim God's word. What could be better?


P.S.  Melissa truly enjoyed the day at the beach with her friend Sarah. It was a wonderful time to catch up. We are sad to see Sarah and her daughter Megan head back to Michigan after such a short visit, but we are confident we will see them and the rest of the family this summer, God willing.

We would appreciate prayers for her as this week marks the beginning of her second intensive class for the Master's degree she started on in January. 

Melissa helping Sarah, a friend, and Megan get situated on a moto to head back to Children of the Promise for the night.



No comments:

Post a Comment