Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

BONN FET, RUYSDAEL!

Sunday was the 21st birthday for Ruysdael, one of my three "Haitian sons".  I can't tell you how sad I was to be a thousand five hundred and seventeen miles away in Columbus, Indiana. 

(I Googled it. It feels farther than that.)

We first arrived in Haiti on August 13th of last year and before the month was spent, God had already brought Ruysdael (and then Johnny and Mikenn) across my family's path. 

Here's my earliest picture of Ruysdael, hanging out with Caleb on the patio at Cowman School before the school year started:



He came back a second day, shyly hanging back and out of the way as I prepped my classroom, now and then venturing to practice his English skills.  At the end of the day, when I asked if I could take his picture, he agreed but then gave me the typical Haitian expression for photos:



It's a cultural thing - apparently they think showing their teeth in a broad smile is ugly. 

I wish I could remember what I said to get this reaction, but I am glad I still had my camera up and pointed in the right direction to capture Ruysdael's reaction:



Because THIS is the Ruysdael I would come to know, and then to love, over the coming weeks and months. 

I had to get over some initial suspicions first.  Just after snapping the above picture, I ushered Caleb and Ruysdael out of my classroom so I could lock up for the day.  Ruysdael stopped in the doorway and said, in clear English, "You are like a second father to me." 

I remember having serious doubts of the sincerity behind this statement.

But I soon discovered that "sincere" indeed was an apt word to apply to Ruysdael and, in time, my role as "second father" took shape.

Here's a picture from mid-September, when Ruysdael (to the right of our front door) was already in the habit of hanging out on our front "porch".  (Mikenn and Johnny are to the left.)


Nobody around the mission grounds could recall ever seeing Ruysdael around before our encounter with him those early days in August.  Before long, Caleb and I had the chance to walk with him, down the main road towards Cap Haitien a ways and then up the hillside, to his house - exactly a mile away from ours.
 



The doorway behind Ruysdael (wearing the blue and yellow plaid shirt) leads to his mother's room. A couple of siblings stand in the entry to the only other room of the house, a bedroom/dining area.  In between is a covered nook that serves as kitchen.

Ruysdael was proud to show me his corner of the room and the bed he shares with a sibling.


As weeks and months passed, we all came to appreciate Ruysdael's grace...



And strength ...



And intelligence ...

 


And dedication to his mother ...



And fashion sense!

 


And artistic ability ...



And joyful spirit ...



And playfulness ...



And his brotherly care for Caleb, Hannah, Samuel and Sarah ...



And his work ethic. (Here, hard work was followed by an impromptu nap on our front porch!)


Not to mention his faith in Christ, which seems to seep naturally from his pores. 

What a privilege it is to know you, Ruysdael!  I think of you (and Johnny and Mikenn) and pray for you often.  I am sorry to have missed your 21st birthday, but I am looking forward to our upcoming reunion in August, God willing.  I thank the Lord for bringing you into my life and the life of my family.

I miss your hugs!
 
 
 

 
Mwen renmen ou, pitit gason mwen!

1 comment:

  1. AWW!!! I LOVE this story!!! Still remember your facebook post about that first comment, haha! So cool to see God really bring that statement to fruition :)

    ReplyDelete