Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, November 3, 2013

FUN ADULTS

I've spent a good chunk of time this weekend on catching up with my grading because it's the end of the first quarter already and report cards are due this week.  (The rest of the weekend was spent on procrastinating on catching up with my grading.)

So this afternoon I came across this bit of writing from Samuel about his Uncle Spencer and I just have to share it somewhere, so why not here?  It was supposed to be a "Character Sketch" paragraph, but it basically describes how Samuel treats his uncle like a jungle gym:


          Whenever I lounge beside my Uncle Spencer, he'll mumble, "Who's your favorite uncle?" I usually admit, "Uncle Ryan."  If I want to sit on his lap, I reply, "You!"  Then he'll drop me onto his knee.  We worship at the same church.  After the sermon I always fly toward him and he heaves me up in his arms.  Then I'll shift onto his back and put my arms around his neck.  He'll present to me a piggy-back ride.  I push off and he throws me side to side in his hands. He is my favorite uncle.


Sorry Ryan, Russ, Darin and Randy!  (Though I am sure Samuel is thinking of you all too - and missing you all.  Not to mention all the aunts, cousins, grandmas and friends.)

I did notice that Samuel wrote this in the present tense ... which somehow strikes me as bittersweet.

I should also include the bit of brainstorming he did at the top of the page this was written on.  I asked all the students to list five people they could write about and include a defining characteristic of each before they chose one as the subject of their paragraph.

Here's what Samuel wrote:

Ashley - worst enemy
Thomas - best friend
Kendal - little scientist
Sammy - cute baby boy
Uncle Spencer - fun adult

(I'm not sure what all Ashley, a former classmate, did to Samuel, but she is marked for life!)

All in all, though, my takeaway is that Melissa and I have reason to be thankful for Uncle Spencer and all the other "fun adults" in our kids' lives, both in the States and in Haiti!  You all are in our thoughts and prayers and we appreciate all the positive ways you impact our family's life.

This was a few years back but it was the only picture I recalled of Samuel climbing on Uncle Spencer!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment