Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Friday, March 15, 2013

Back to Work

I've got a new job and thus far it is proving to be a real blessing.  I became aware of the open teaching position weeks ago, applied early in February, then interviewed, and finally received a phone call with the offer as Dats and I were in the Miami airport on our way back from Haiti last month. I started two weeks ago and, as of today, get my first vacation: a week and a half off for spring break.

It's a temporary, part-time teaching position at a local "New Tech" high school - a place that avoids many of the traditional school elements (like bells and lockers) and emphasizes technology, collaboration, and project-based learning.  I have just three classes: two 12th grade English classes and a Creative Writing class.  The former teacher left unexpectedly mid-year and the school filled the gap with a substitute teacher while looking for a replacement to finish the semester. 

So far, it's been a win/win/win/win situation.

Win: The extra income is a definite answer to prayer.  I quit my full-time teaching job over last summer so that I could focus on making contacts to raise the funds necessary to get us to Haiti.  We never regretted that move or the opportunities it opened up, but Melissa's salary has been spread pretty thin over the last few months.  There have been times when it was imperative that the gas tank not empty before pay day.  (Sidenote: the money we have pledged to the missionaries we support on a monthly basis has always been available for us to pass along, even during the lean times.  Praise the Lord.)  I thank God for the lean times this past year because He has used them to teach me not to put my trust in money or to build my identity around a job.  Still, a second income, even at half-time, will undoubtedly come in handy as we make preparations to move.

Win: This new job gets me moving in the morning and puts a positive squeeze on my time.  7:30 to 11:20 AM is now spoken for.  I must confess to struggling more than a bit with self-management some days over the past few months.  When the schedule is wide open, it's too easy to put off important tasks until tomorrow ... or the day after ... or next week.  This new job adds structure to my work week and reminds me each day that time is short and today is the day for me to get my part done if God is going to put us on the mission field soon. 

Win:  I am being exposed to new approaches to education.  I enjoy learning new things and in sharpening my effectiveness as a teacher.  This school is intentionally different and I'm liking their approach to education.  Here, each student carries a laptop.  None of the teachers has his or her own room - all space is shared.  The teachers have their desks in a large central room which also contains conference tables for ease of collaboration.  (The space still retains some of the elements of a traditional teachers' lounge: there are always donuts, cupcakes or cookies on that table!)  Daily agendas for each class are posted online and homework is submitted electronically.  I love the fact that in my Creative Writing class, I can post a warm-up exercise, open a Google Doc and everyone can paste his or her writing there.  Then I plug my school-issued laptop into the video projector and we can instantly see and enjoy each other's efforts.  I am also getting firsthand experience in developing real-world projects for students - which is a great approach to education (within reason).

Win:  New relationships (and thus, new ministry opportunities) abound.  I see about fifty students each morning. As I am getting to know them, I am impressed with the strong personalities represented in my classes ... and saddened by some of the struggles I am already aware of.  With just over two months to graduation, a handful of my new students are failing.  Several are single moms.  One young lady is homeless at the moment - crashing on various friends' sofas each night.  The Lord is providing opportunities for me to offer words of encouragement and guidance. 

So I am thanking God for this new (and temporary) chapter in my life.  It's all good!

Well, ALMOST all good.  I do have 30 essays on Shakespeare's "The Tempest" to grade over spring break!

No comments:

Post a Comment