Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Roller Coaster

I don't remember the context or even who said it, but I recall a preacher once saying that people tend to think of the Christian life as being rather dull and monotonous, yet he found a living relationship with Christ bares more resemblance to a roller coaster.  He said the highs were higher and the lows were lower than what non-believers experience in this life. 


I think it's true.


Some HIGHS from the past few days:
*A great couple who surprised us with dinner and a sacrificial gift towards our upcoming ministry in Haiti.
*The chance to visit a small group - the "sister" group to our regular small group - to share about our family's mission and to receive prayer.
*The offer of the use of a vehicle for as long as we need it, since we are down to one vehicle.  The couple making the offer felt prompted by the Holy Spirit to share with us as they recently read in the book of Acts how the early church held possessions in common!  That's radical, isn't it?  (I might have to say more about this later.)
*Dinner with my brother and his wife.  It's a high because I couldn't stop thinking about how miraculous is the difference between a few years ago and today in both his life circumstances and his spiritual health. 
*After many years of merely crossing paths with an old friend and her husband, finally getting to sit down and talk to the two of them and discovering two hearts so in tune with the Savior's.  We left their home wishing we had hours more to converse. 


Those are all GREAT and we praise God, but my heart is aching tonight for a dear friend who has travelled a dark path and is living in a dark place at the moment.  I don't really know any details - all I know is that my spirit is crying out on his behalf.  In prayer, I have found myself telling God that I am willing to do anything He might suggest if I could play some role in this brother's restoration. 


I think I'm feeling for my friend some degree of what Paul was feeling toward the Jews when he wrote in Romans 3:


1 I speak the truth in Christ—I am not lying, my conscience confirms it through the Holy Spirit— 2 I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my people, those of my own race, 4 the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption to sonship; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. 5 Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of the Messiah, who is God over all, forever praised![a] Amen.


And as I write this and look over that passage closely, I realize that what Paul feels there is simply a reflection of Christ's heart toward every lost person on this planet.  Every one of them. 


And I want to plead God's forgiveness for the lack of passion I have demonstrated for His lost sheep throughout my life...  My heart aches for my friend.  Is it even conceivable how much more God's heart aches over billions of His creatures?

No comments:

Post a Comment