Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

TWITTER-STYLE CATCH UP #2 - CHRISTMAS ACTIVITIES

Once Melissa was back home with us, we went full-throttle into "special Christmas activity" mode, at Cowman and elsewhere.



Samuel showing off a Christmas cookie - with a Sarah photobomb - in preparation for a Christmas party with my adult English students. 



My students and I read the Christmas story, sang carols in English, and played Christmas Bingo, but the sugar cookies were definitely the highlight of the party.


Back at Cowman, we celebrated our school-wide Christmas party a week before the end of classes.


Everyone came to school in Christmas colors.



The main feature of Cowman's Christmas party was a series of soccer matches: Parents vs. Staff, then winner against the Students.



Coach David worked hard to ready the field.



Here's Cowman's staff team.  The match should have been called Male Staff vs. Fathers.  I was a bit anxious because folks take soccer VERY SERIOUSLY here. And me, I don't even know the rules.



Surprisingly, I did not embarrass myself, the staff or my children during the (few minutes of) game time I saw action.  I even managed a header.  AND sent the ball in the right direction when I did it.



Some of our young ladies performed during halftimes, including Hannah's class.  They danced to a song called When Jesus Says 'Yes'.



It kinda looked like this.



Parents ultimately took home the trophy and everyone pigged out on Christmas goodies.  A good time all around.



The following day was one of OMS's prayer days.  Here Medson, who just turned 82, shares stories of physical and spiritual healings connected to our Radio 4VEH ministries.



The following day, Melissa hosted all the missionary women for a Christmas brunch - which is on its way to becoming a tradition around here.



One evening, the missionaries joined the students out at Emmaus Seminary for a Christmas carol sing and worship service.  I hope THIS becomes a tradition.



We finished off the last few days of school with some special activities.  Here's one of the ornaments Melissa's first graders took home to Mom and Dad.



Marlyse produced this Grinch after some lessons I gave my students on drawing.  She was rightfully proud of her work.



Next thing you know, school is out and we're gathered in the sanctuary of the church next to the mission grounds for the Cowman Christmas program.


We had to move out of the radio station this year since our crowd outgrew that space.


These three girls, Sarah, Faith, and Kristina, are neighbors, classmates and FRIENDS.  Pretty amazing considering each is a 7 year old princess in her own home.


Anticipation: one of our "cows" checks out the crowd inside.



Caleb, Hannah and Samuel each had at least one spoken line during the program and all did a great job!


Melissa with three of her students.


After the crowd cleared out, the staff and their families gathered for a dinner of barbecued chicken, rice and beans for what I hope will become another Christmas tradition. 



The 12 pack of root beer is something we found recently at the grocery store in Cap Haitien. It's a rarity and was a bit expensive, so we decided to wrap it up and put it under the tree. The kids will be excited.


Meatballs galore.

Now that school is out, Melissa and the kids and I have spent the last few days relaxing, watching holiday movies, wrapping presents, cleaning house, landscaping and planning out food and activities for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and, especially, for my brother's upcoming visit.  


But as much as I have enjoyed all the preparations and special events, I can honestly say that the best part of this Christmas season has been our nightly family devotions based on a book that our friends, the Heckmans, gave us: Ann Voskamp's Unwrapping the Greatest Gift.

Each night Melissa, Caleb, Hannah, Samuel, Sarah and I have gathered around our special "Jesse tree" (that Sarah and I created while Melissa was out of the country) and the kids have colored the ornaments and we have given ear and mind and heart to the unfolding of God's grand, love-driven scheme of reconciliation which dawned in the Bethlehem manger.  

Melissa and I sincerely hope you and your loved ones have also found time to reflect on, and bask in, the Love that came down at Christmas!




"For unto us a Son is given; unto us a Child is born"!

No comments:

Post a Comment