Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Princess Turns Six

At one point today Melissa and I watched a woman wrestle her screaming toddler out of the kids' museum where our little princess was hosting her birthday party.  The diaper-clad boy was tucked under his mother's arm and was wailing, kicking, and wearing only one shoe - the other shoe was clutched tightly in mom's free hand.  Mom marched as quickly as possible down two flights of stairs and toward the front door while her son let EVERYBODY in the place know exactly how upset he was. 
 
Melissa and I were sitting on a bench while our kids were scattered all over the building - without need of our constant supervision.  We watched the frazzled mom and screaming toddler and agreed that we don't miss those days.
 
But as I write this at the end of the day, I have to admit that I made sure I found reason to cuddle a few quiet minutes with The Princess tonight - who, even at six, is not yet too big to curl up on my lap. Not yet.  And I found myself missing those toddler days ... at least a smidgen.


This was Wednesday, The Princess' actual birthday.  One of our birthday traditions is the chance to open one present at the breakfast table.
 
Followed by a super healthy breakfast.  That there is called a birthday pancake.

Her party was today (Saturday) and she chose the local children's museum as her party site and got to invite a few friends.  This place is very hands-on and educational. And the best part is ... it's not Chuck E. Cheese.

There are lots of fun activities - like the bubble room.
And - inexplicably - a giant toilet.  It makes a flushing sound when you go down the drain into the room below!

Melissa even scored a private room for pizza and cake... at no extra charge ...

And a giant cockroach on the counter to watch the proceedings ... also at no extra charge.  Next year, God willing, The Princess will be celebrating her birthday in Haiti - and the cockroaches will be allowed to roam free.

One of my best cakes, if I do say so myself.  I had never worked with fondant icing before and found it wasn't as difficult as I had always assumed.  This is supposed to be one of the "Lego Friends" - the new Legos being marketed to girls.  She turned out a little beefy, but a fairly close representation overall.  The Princess was duly impressed and remarked, "It's kinda sad we'll have to put a fork in her face."
Lunch was followed by some craft time - which even the big brothers participated in.

The party girls were still doing crafts when the parents showed up to collect them.  These girls loved their crafts.

 
 But my favorite part of the day, hands down, ended up being those quiet moments I cuddled my big old exhausted 6 year old before bedtime.  I am so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment