Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Christmas 2011

I have mentioned before how spiritually sensitive our oldest is.  Well, late in the day on December 25, 2011, after all the ham was eaten, the stockings emptied and the presents unwrapped, Melissa and I put the kids down for the night and hoped to get a few moments of quiet.


That's when Dats (age 10) came out of the bedroom with a sad look on his face and said he wanted to talk to me about something - in private. We went down to the basement and sat side by side on the couch.  I never know what to expect when Dats wants to have a serious, private talk.


After a long pause, he finally managed to choke out a confession:  "I don't think I really celebrated the true meaning of Christmas today."  I wasn't expecting THAT at all.


How many ten year old consciences are bothered by such things? (For that matter, how many adult consciences?)


I explained to him that even the strongest of us tend to get caught up in the gifts and food and festivities and can neglect the deeper spiritual reality of Christmas.  I told him I was happy if, in the midst of the month-long build up to the 25th, I got one moment of genuine reflection on God's gift of Jesus, born in the manger. 

AND I told him that moment came for me this year just after the ham dinner and before we opened presents with Melissa's side of the family.  That was when Dats came to me and whispered, "Do you think it would be OK for me to read the Bible story of Jesus' birth before we open presents?"  And that's what he did - he read from the 2nd chapter of Luke.

And it was beautiful. 

And it was Christmas.

I'm glad Dats came to me that night after bedtime because it gave me a chance to thank him for that moment.

**********************************

Some random pictures from this Christmas:


Melissa got a Hercules doll in our small group's white elephant exchange.  Hercules rode home in Steve and Keri's van after the party - their fault for not locking their doors.


The Princess (age 4 on the right) and her friends at her pre-school's Christmas program.

Dinner line for Gross family gathering.

Grandma Gross opens presents made by our kids.

We opened presents with the immediate family on Christmas Eve.

Belle (formerly known as "The Drama Queen") got presents for her brothers:  whoopee cushions!  How thoughtful.

Belle (age 9) couldn't wait to get outside to play with one of her gifts.

Packed house for the gathering for Melissa's side of the family on Christmas Day.




Melissa always goes all out on the stockings...

No comments:

Post a Comment